PRF stands for platelet-rich fibrin. It is an augmented natural healing process involving stem cells and growth factors and is used in medical procedures and dental care treatments.
What is PRF?
Essentially, this method involves creating a restorative substance made out of the patients’ own blood, platelet concentrates (cells that circulate in the blood), and fibrin (a blood-clotting protein). This mixture then creates a substance capable of stimulating bone growth and soft tissue which speeds up the oral healing process.
The PRF process can:
- Stop bleeding
- Significantly reduce swelling
- Help alleviate pain
- Eliminate dry socket
- Preserve the dimensions of gums and bones
How does the PRF protocol work?
Thanks to our state-of-the-art technology, this entire process can be achieved in our Cyprus dental practice. At Yiannikos Centre for Holistic Dentistry, we always make sure to use the safest and most up to date dental materials and techniques. Therefore, we are proud to share that we use the PRF technology for this process.
The PRF process:
- First, we collect a small blood sample (10ml)from the patient
- Then it spins in a centrifuge to break up the components
- We then place the resulting material over the extraction site or inside the gum
This process results in a biocompatible method for ensuring optimal oral health.
Why do we use PRF in biological dentistry?
We use this treatment as a completely holistic approach of speeding up the healing process and reducing any type of pain that you might get from more invasive dental treatments. The process only adds about 10-15 extra minutes on top of treatment but significantly quickens the healing time. With this method, our patients can receive the most comfortable and accommodating dental care that we can offer.
We apply this process to treatments such as:
- Extractions (surgical and non-surgical)
- Implant procedures (This is especially useful during this treatment as it typically involves a lengthy healing time!)
- Treating gum disease
- Resolving gum recession
Benefits of PRF
As a practicing holistic/biological dentist, we always want to provide the best and most comfortable treatment options for our patients, especially those who have trouble healing naturally. That’s why we incorporate this process to our more invasive procedures.
The PRF method is exceptionally beneficial for patients who:
- Are diabetic
- Have a vitamin D deficiency
- Have high cholesterol
- Have cardiovascular disease
- Have undergone radiotherapy on their head or neck
- Take bisphosphonates or daily aspirin