TEETH WHITENING CASE STUDY
Teeth Whitening Case Study by Yiannikos Dental on Cyprus
A wonderful young 33 year old lady and patient of ours, visited us last month determined to obtain a healthy-looking, brighter smile.
Based on her dental history, she revealed to us that she was too embarrassed to smile or show her teeth in a photo.
Dr Yiannikos recommended the appropriate bleaching method for her patient based on the following parameters:
1. The huge discolouration of the patient’s teeth
2. The patient’s desire to whiten her teeth effectively and safely
3. The patient’s social habits (drinking 4 cups of coffee per day and smoking 10 cigarettes daily)
Recommended treatment for the patient: At-home whitening
After a consultation session with Dr. Yiannikos, the chosen treatment protocol was the at-home whitening bleaching.
This treatment works by applying the bleaching gel into a nighttime mouth appliance for around 2 weeks to achieve optimal results.
During the 1st appointment, a professional dental cleaning was performed by Dr. Yiannikos using ultrasonic and airflow machines.
Afterwards, Dr. Yiannikos took dental impressions for the lab to fabricate the custom-made bleaching trays for the patient.
The following day, the patient received two whitening kits (4 syringes of whitening gel and 1 syringe of a desensitised agent in each kit) and the below-written instructions.
The patient was given the following instructions:
- Make sure to floss and brush your teeth before applying the whitening treatment.
- Select one of the whitening syringes and remove the cap from the tip.
- Place 1/4 of the contents of the syringe into the trays and insert them into your mouth (on the interior of the syringe you will find a measuring unit that will help you with measurements of the dosage after you remove the sticker covering them around it).
- After the whitening process is complete, remove the trays, and brush your teeth clean of any residue gel left on your teeth and gums. Wash the trays with cold water and scrub them very lightly with a toothbrush to remove residue.
- To avoid excess sensitivity or irritation, use After Whitening Mousse. Use this by placing it inside the cleanly washed whitening trays and insert for about 10-15 minutes after your whitening treatment (on the interior of the syringe you will find a measuring unit that will help you with measurements of the dosage after you remove the sticker covering it).
- After using the After Whitening Mousse, do not brush your teeth!
- Clean the trays out so that they are ready for their next use.
- Ensure for at least two hours after the whitening treatment. We ask that you restrain from the consumption of tea, coffee, red wine, cigarettes etc. as these will reduce the effectiveness of the whitening treatment.
How we monitored the patient’s results:
The patient visited for an evaluation after the 1st and 2nd week of whitening treatment. During these visits, we took photos of the results, so that we could compare.
Aftercare instructions for the patient:
Once the whitening treatment was complete, the patient received care instructions on how to retain the whiter smile from the team at Yiannikos Centre. This included:
- Detailed advice on retaining the results.
- Recommendations on reduced consumption of drinks and foods such as coffee, tea, soft drinks, red wine, curries, sauces, and other social habits such as smoking.
- The patient received a prescription to use the appropriate toothbrush and toothpaste that fitted her teeth anatomy, structure, oral health and lifestyle best to achieve optimal results.
The team at Yiannikos Dental advised the patient that by doing the following above, she would maintain her beautiful whiter smile for longer.
At Yiannikos Centre for Holistic Dentistry, we offer both in-chair and at-home professional teeth whitening treatments, using only the safest and best teeth whitening products.
IMPORTANT NOTE: In 2012, Dr. Yiannikos completed the Master Clinician Program in Aesthetic Dentistry, organized by the University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA).